Ep. 13- State of HBCUs: New Jack Presidents
Episode Summary– What did you think of your HBCU college president and do you know what’s going on at your school now? HBCUbiquity’s host Thomas Joyner Jr. talks to two “new jack” HBCU presidents who have adopted “out of the box” approaches in leading these HBCUs. Joyner talks to Dr. Herman J. Felton, Jr. president of Wiley College, and Dr. Hakim J. Lucas, president of Virginia Union.
EPISODE HIGHLIGHTS / SHOW NOTES
- Wiley College is a rural HBCU located in Marshall, Texas. It is 1 of 8 or 9 schools in the nation that has a program to educate inmates.
- Heman M. Sweatt Center for Social Good and Leadership
- What African-Americans should focus on – Leadership, understanding of social Good, and Entreprenuership
- “Unapologetically serious about creating change agents”
- Cultural differences between northern and southern HBCUs
- Dr. Felton’s background story and journey
- First word of advice recieved in regards to becoming a HBCU president: ” You need to learn how to raise money”
- “There is absolutely nothing you can’t do and because of that I will not accept mediocrity not one day while you are around me.” – President Jimmy Jenkins
- “Education is my social justice…Social justice is our ability to use our lives to express loudly our freedom.” -Dr. Lucas
- How first generation students can be disciples of higher education
- Combating ‘Ageism’ as a college president and how it relates to students
- Virginia Union University is the only HBCU located in a state capital. VUU is RVA campaign marks Virgina Union’s connection with the local Richmond community.
- How to draw greatness from underpreforming students: “You must provide a structured environment where students understand what it takes to be great”
*edit: Dr. Lucas mentioned his “big brother”, Dr. Dwaun Warmack as the president of Harris-Stowe State University. Dr. Warmack is now the president of Claflin University.
Dr. Herman J. Felton Jr. is the 17th President and Chief Executive Officer of Wiley College. Prior to, Dr. Felton has served as the president of Wilberforce University, the nation’s oldest private HBCU from July 2016 to 2018. He is co-founder of the Higher Education Leadership Foundation (H.E.L.F.), a Marines Corp Veteran, and a graduate of HBCU, Edward Waters College.
Dr. Hakim J. Lucas is the 13th President of Virginia Union University (VUU). Prior to, Dr. Lucas has served as the Vice President for Institutional Advancement at Bethune-Cookman University, an HBCU located in Daytona Beach, Florida, for 5 years. He also served in leadership at State University of New York at Old Westbury and Medgar Evers College in Brooklyn, NY. Dr. Lucas’ alma mater is Morehouse College.
Dr. Felton Twitter: @hermanfelton
Facebook: Herman J. Felton Jr.
Wiley College Twitter: @WileyCollege
Dr. Lucas Instagram: @VUUPresident
Support HBCUs with the Tom Joyner Foundation:
The Tom Joyner Foundation was founded in 1998 as the brainchild of nationally syndicated radio personality Tom Joyner. The mission of the Foundation is to support historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) with scholarships, endowments and capacity-building enhancements.
The Foundation has provided necessary support to every HBCU in its 20-year history to help sustain and preserve the legacies of these valuable institutions. Through fundraising and donor development initiatives, $65 million has been raised to support more than 29,000 students attending HBCUs.Dr. Hakim Lucas, Dr. Hermon Felton Jr, HBCU President, Virginia Union University, VUU, Wiley college